The other day I was lucky enough to go to Taronga Zoo in Sydney and had a wonderful time. Working in the promotional merchandising and gift industry I had to check out what they had on offer. What I did find was fascinating. Their understanding of marketing and purchasing behaviour is fantastic and everything was simply where you would expect things to be.
- Strategic placement drives sales.
- Customisation creates brand identity.
- Cohesive design enhances memorability.
Taronga Zoo's Strategic Merch Display
For example they had their flagship gift shop right at the entrance! (which doubles as an exit when you leave) You simply cannot miss it. With open wide wide entrances it really made entering the shop very very enticing. The merchandise on display was also very cleanly and smartly done. All the product types were grouped into similar categories and they were neatly stacked and not merely crammed. The shelves were all filled up but not overloaded and once merchandise was bought off the shelves it would be quickly refilled so there were no empty shelves.
Upon walking through the Zoo there would be merchandise appropriate to the animals. If you were looking at elephants then nearby there would be a vendor selling elephants. This was the same with the Seals as well as monkeys and all the other animals. It is absolutely perfect to have an appealing product straight after the guest has seen the animal in real life.
When you do eventually leave the Zoo there are two exits. In both exits there is merchandising available. The variety of items on offer was also fabulous. There were literally products that are affordable to kids with a few dollars in pocket money through to really premium and expensive products. All in all a great zoo and the merchandising locations are perfect.
Here are some top tips I have learnt which I think can be applied to any fund raiser event or any expo or conference.
- Have your products placed at the entrance.
- Have your products placed at the exits.
- Ensure that your merchandising efforts are clearly visible and neatly presented.
- Avoid stacking products (better to keep them in storage). Also avoid empty bare shelves or desk space.
- Group things together either by similar product, colour or style.
- Have a range of different products at a range of price points from low cost to high end premium items.
Product Placement Importance
Product placement is critical to the success of any promotional merchandise campaign. The way in which you display your products can impact how they are perceived by potential customers. Here are some tips for effective product placement:
- Place your products where they will be seen: The most effective product placement is where potential customers are most likely to see your products. This could be at the entrance of an event, near the point of sale, or in high-traffic areas.
- Use eye-catching displays: Use displays that are visually appealing and draw attention to your products. This could include promotional banners, stands, or creative product arrangements.
- Group similar products together: Grouping similar products together can make it easier for customers to find what they are looking for and can encourage them to purchase more.
- Keep your displays clean and organised: Ensure that your displays are always clean and well-organized. Make sure that your products are neatly arranged and that there is enough space between them.
- Use lighting to your advantage: Use lighting to highlight your products and create a welcoming atmosphere. This can help to draw attention to your products and make them more appealing to potential customers.
The Power of Customisation
Customisation is a powerful tool for making your promotional merchandise stand out from the crowd. By adding your logo or branding to your products, you can create a unique and memorable experience for your customers. Here are some tips for effective customisation:
- Choose the right products: Not all products are created equal when it comes to customisation. Some products, such as pens or keychains, are ideal for branding, while others, such as clothing, may require more complex customisation techniques.
- Use high-quality materials: The quality of your customisation is only as good as the materials you use. Make sure that you choose high-quality materials that will stand up to wear and tear.
- Keep your branding consistent: Make sure that your branding is consistent across all of your promotional products. This will help to create a cohesive and recognizable brand identity.
- Use creative designs: Don't be afraid to get creative with your designs. Use bold colors, interesting fonts, and eye-catching graphics to make your products stand out.
- Consider personalisation: Consider adding a personal touch to your products by adding the recipient's name or a personalized message. This can help to create a deeper connection with your customers and make your products more memorable.
Promotional merchandise placement and customisation are powerful tools for businesses looking to increase brand awareness and customer loyalty. By using effective product placement and creative customisation techniques, businesses can make their promotional products stand out from the crowd and create a memorable experience for their customers. Remember to choose the right products, keep your branding consistent, and get creative with your designs to make the most of your promotional merchandise.